The holidays are so magical, and in our family we really do everything we can to keep that magic alive for our kiddos throughout the season. One of our favourite ways to do that is to swap out our nightly bedtime story for a wintery or Christmasy one, and in fact we start this earlier and earlier each year!
This year I wanted to share some of our current favourites to give you some ideas of titles to try. I have seen a lot of people do a story advent calendar (books are wrapped and opened each night to read before bed) which is totally brilliant, or you can do what we do and borrow them from your local library, keeping them in a little basket and picking a new one each night. My boys get so excited when our holiday book holds are ready for us to pick up from our local library!
Without further adeau, here are some lovely winter and holiday books we highly recommend you try. We have included the descriptions from the publishers, because they do it best!
- The Christmas Eve Tree - It’s late on Christmas Eve, and the little fir tree is the only tree left in the shop. What a poor thing I am, it thinks. But then a young boy enters the store, drawn in from the damp by the warmth and lights and the wonderful smell of Christmas, and he doesn’t seem to mind that the scrawny tree isn’t tall and straight like the others.
- The Crayon's Christmas - 'Tis the season for all of us to write our holiday wishlists. But everyone--even the crayons--know the best presents are the ones that you give. In this unique book, readers get to see how Duncan, the crayons, and their families celebrate the holidays.
- Dasher - Dasher is an adventurous young reindeer with a wish in her heart. She spends her days with her family under the hot sun in a traveling circus, but she longs for a different life — one where there is snow beneath her hooves and the North Star above her head. One day, when the opportunity arises, Dasher seizes her destiny and takes off in pursuit of the life she wants to live. It’s not long before she meets a nice man in a red suit with a horse-drawn sleigh — a man named Santa. And soon, with the help of a powerful Christmas wish, nothing will be the same.
- Little Snowflake - Have you ever wondered what happens to a snowflake when it falls to the ground? This beautifully illustrated story offers a perfect introduction to the life cycle of snowflakes. (P.S. We also have Little Acorn and Little Raindrop, and they are huge favs around here too).
- Finding Christmas - Squirrel, Mouse, and Hare are getting ready for Christmas. While Mouse is out looking for the perfect gift for Hare, she finds Swallow sick in the snow. The three friends bring Swallow home and try to nurse the bird back to health. Squirrel and Mouse realize their Christmas gifts will help Swallow get well.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas - Christmas is almost here, which means ice-skating, Christmas carols, and sparkly lights everywhere—even on Snoopy’s doghouse! Everyone is enjoying the holiday celebrations except Charlie Brown. Can the Peanuts gang help Charlie Brown discover the true meaning of Christmas?
- The Little Reindeer - When a jingling sound wakes her from her sleep, a little girl’s dreams come true when she meets a lost reindeer in the forest. They set off on a magical adventure and it becomes a Christmas never to forget.
- Walking In A Winter Wonderland - The classic and beloved winter holiday song "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" is brought to life with bright and colorful illustrations.
- Pick a Pine Tree - Part of the magic of the Christmas season stems from the traditions that families and friends take part in every year: hanging up stockings; putting lights in the windows; and, one of the most important of all, picking out and taking home the Christmas tree.
- The Wish Tree - Charles wants to find a wish tree. His brother and sister don't believe there is such a thing, but his trusty companion Boggan is ready to join Charles on a journey to find out. And along the way, they discover that wishes can come true in the most unexpected ways.
- Coming Home - A plucky robin, lost and alone, sets out on an epic journey, guided only by a call in his heart saying “come home!” He wills his wings to beat faster, lifting him over great mountains and dark forests, through blinding blizzards and rolling fog, across the wide, wild sea. Can he find his way back to his family in time for Christmas?
- And then Came Christmas - From icicles clinging to roofs and houses strung with colorful lights to visiting Santa and hunting for the perfect tree, this classic-in-the-making celebrates all of the holiday’s excitement.
- The Twelve days Of Christmas In Canada - O Canada, in Christmastime! Take a holiday trip across the country, all the way from Prince Edward Island and Vieux-Québec to Winnipeg and Vancouver. The really fun Canadian gifts for each day include everything from 8 bears a-swimming and 6 Mounties marching to a loon in a maple tree!
- One Snowy Night - Percy the park keeper always feeds the animals in the park where he lives. But one cold winter's night Percy discovers that his little friends need more than food and he must find a way to help them.