I don't know about you, but when my kids get home from school they are literally dying of hunger and they want dinner immediately, and I also have zero motivation to start cooking a five course dinner. I am a huge fan of finding a handful of healthy, simple dinners and rotating them throughout the week, and so I thought I would share some ideas with you guys!
This recipe I threw together with random things we had on hand, which is my favourite kind of recipe. It couldn't be easier, and you can add MANY things to this. Consider this a base for so many extras you could throw in. Below the recipe I will give you a few ideas to add in!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Quesadillas
(Serves 2 adults and 2 kiddos)
1 large sweet potato
1 can black beans
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Roast or steam your sweet potato until it's soft throughout. (You can totally microwave which is even faster, but you may lose some nutrients. But also, you're busy. I get it.
- Rinse and drain your black beans
- Mash your potato well
- Place 2 tortillas on plates, and spread potato over both
- Sprinkle beans on top of the potatoes
- Cover with shredded cheese
- Place the remaining two tortillas on top and press down gently
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat, and place one quesadilla in the centre for about 5-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Flip over, and repeat on the other side
- Repeat this process with the 2nd quesadilla
- That's it! We serve ours with sour cream, salsa and freshly made guacamole, and it's one of our absolute favs!
- chili or taco seasoning
- cooked brown rice or quinoa
- diced tomatos
- black olives
- sliced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- hot sauce
And there you have it! Seriously easy and delicious, and great for picky eaters too. Let us know if you try it! And if you have any favourite easy dinners, please share in the comments below!